It’s 420 — so whether you’re taking your first puff of ganja or rolling a dub like an expert pothead, here are eight things to do while stoned on marijuana’s unofficial national holiday. You’re welcome.
1. Watch a movie. You can go one of two routs with this one: either stick to classic stoner jams that are only really funny when you’re high, like “Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle,” or dig a little deeper and feel your mind expand with thinkers like “Donnie Darko” and “Inception.”
2. Pet a dog. There is nothing more pure than the love and affection of a stoner’s best friend. If you have one or can find one (whose owner won’t mind if you commandeer his pooch), pet his fluffy fur, let him lick your face and feel the joy. Who’s a good boy? He is, especially when you’re higher than a dog whistle.
3. Listen to good music. Whatever’s smooth, relaxing, lyrically brilliant or just makes you smile and nod your head. When all of your senses are heightened, including your hearing, music will sound better. Plus, depending on the strain you’re smoking and how you react, you might concentrate on the words and have an epiphany. Give the new Kendrick Lamar a listen, if you haven’t yet.
4. Make something. Thanks to your lack of inhibitions, your brain will be open to things it’d otherwise reject. A painting, 30 second choreography, lunch – just be creative, you might surprise yourself. In the very least you’ll finally learn that yes, actually, you can fry avocado and it is fantastic.
5. Go to an art gallery. Preferably one with funky abstracts like at the MoMA but any gallery will do. The colors will be more vibrant and your highly elevated state might help you understand a piece that used to just confuse you.
6. Grab some of your favorite food. Everything tastes better so either go upscale or downscale. Whether it’s Taco Bell or a multi-course spread, order it in and indulge.
7. Take a walk in the park. If you’re lucky enough to live near a wooded area (Central Park totally counts), grab your sunglasses — because you probably look high AF — and take a leisurely stroll through the great outdoors. The combination of early spring warmth and gentle breezes will feel absolutely magical.
8. Get centered. If you’re feeling more introverted than walking outside amongst people, download an app like Yoga Studio and try it out at home. You don’t know relaxation until you’ve tried stoned Vinyasa flow yoga. Opt for an indica strain for maximum sedating effects you’ll feel throughout your whole body.